Sunday, May 25, 2014

Ladies' Night, by Mary Kay Andrews



This was such a "fun" book!  So fun, I had got to use it for a party theme! I received 10 free copies of Ladies' Night as part of a promotion I was selected for through houseparty.com (I am neither employed by nor compensated by them for this review in any way).  I was selected to host a book premiere party for Save the Date, Mary Kay Andrews' newest book, which will hit the shelves on June 3rd. I agreed to distribute the 10 copies of Ladies' Night to friends and host a "book club style" party to discuss both Ladies' Night and Save the Date.  I had never done anything like this for a publisher, but thought it was worth a try. The result was a fun time with friends, and the chance to read two excellent books, for free!

Ladies' Night begins with a married blogger (she blogs about food and style, not books, but I still felt the connection) who catches her husband cheating with her assistant, so she impulsively drives his sports car to the bottom of their swimming pool.  I love this scene so much, I chose to host my House Party poolside at our neighborhood pool.  As a result of this treacherous night, Grace Stanton must deal with the loss of her marriage, as well as her business and reputation.  During the legal proceedings for divorce, Grace is sentenced to a type of divorce group therapy, with other enraged or damaged spouses.  This group forms a bond that no only is entertaining, and endearing, but also conniving and determined to get revenge.  The book is filled with "laugh out loud" moments, as well as twists, turns, and a little romance.  In other words, it is a great summer reading material; or it works for any time you need to escape into a good book and just enjoy some fun reading.  For me, I got the added bonus of laughing with friends about the book's great one-liners and crafty ideas.  

Overall score: 85
Bottom Line:  Fun, enjoyable, and touching...make sure you pack it in your pool bag this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment