Saturday, June 21, 2014

Sundance, by David Fuller


Sundance: A Novel


     I have to admit I was surprised about this one.  My husband is a huge fan of westerns, especially Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  Therefore, when I had the opportunity to read an advance copy of Sundance through firsttoread.com, I thought it would be fun to read a book with my husband.  He provided a lot of the background (I'm Native American, so I've never had a love of westerns), but I was quickly brought up to speed.  Then I was ready to digest the next chapter of the Sundance Kid.

     All fans of the old westerns would know that Harry Longbaugh ("Sundance") supposedly died in a shootout in Bolivia, along with Robert Parker ("Butch Cassidy").  However, this novel begins with a different outcome; Sundance is alive and well and has been in prison in Wyoming.  He is released in 1913, and as expected, he sets out to find his beloved wife, Etta Place.  The only problem is that Etta Place is now in New York City.  Sundance does not let the distance deter him, and sets out to a new world in search of his love.

     I loved the way this novel dealt with U.S. History. Important events, including the Industrial Revolution, the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire, and the Progressive Movement (which was neither "'progressive" nor a "movement") were all explored as part of this story.  Also, the "fish out of water" concept, wherein the progressive east coast and the western prairie were so out of touch with each other's environment, was both enlightening and entertaining.  The ending, though quite predictable, is splendid.

      With Sundance, David Fuller has delivered a "what if" story full of love, history, redemption, and even some laughs along the way.  And whether intentional or unintentional, has introduced the story of a classic western to a new group of readers.

Bottom Line:  A very entertaining look a the early 20th Century, built around a classic western tale.
Rating:  84

No comments:

Post a Comment