Sunday, January 4, 2015

Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen



 

     Ah, what a beautiful way to start 2015. In case you haven't notice based on recent blogs and my 2014/2015 book lists, I tend to look for the books that are fairly new and being discussed currently. Once in a while, I'll choose a book that is several years old, based on the recommendations of friends. For the first book of the year, however, I decided to make an exception, if for no other reason than the fact that it's a Jane Austen book. When it comes to Jane Austen, there's always room for an exception. As I've said before, I love Jane Austen. I love her books, her stories, and her writing style. Although I fell in love with reading at a VERY young age, it wasn't until I reached about 16 that I truly began to appreciate books. And between the ages of 16 and 20, I read all of Jane Austen's books. I loved them then, but had almost a kind of reverence for them, in that I enjoyed them so much on the first read that I was almost afraid to revisit them, for fear that I'd ruin the joy I felt after reading each one for the first time. I so guarded those feelings, that when the movie "Sense and Sensibility" came out in 1995, I had no desire to see it. I still have not seen the movie.

     My apprehension about re-reading the books has dissipated somewhat in recent years, so much so that I mentioned to my husband that I had plans of reading Austen's books again. I even pointed out that Barnes and Noble had the complete collection in one volume! Imagine my joy this Christmas when I unwrapped my own copy of Jane Austen: The Complete Novels. The collection has each of her books, in order. I decided that during 2015, I will re-read each of the books again, in order, in between reading other books on my list. During Christmas vacation, I decided to dive into the first novel, Sense and Sensibility

     As was the case when I first read the book, I was not disappointed. Sense and Sensibility, published in 1811, by "A Lady" (Austen did not take credit at first, due to the time and the belief it wouldn't be well-received), the two oldest sisters of a widowed woman. When Mrs. Dashwood lost her husband, her step-son inherited his father's estate, and although he had promised his father on his deathbed that he would provide for his step-mother and her three daughters, his wife convinced him otherwise. She later moved her three daughters to a small, modest, home, at the time her two oldest daughters, Elinor and Marianne, were of "courting age" and were hoping to find love. Austen followed the family, as well as other relatives and friends, as Elinor and Marianne experienced the "ups and downs" of dating in a time period where money, status, and mates pretty much defined women.

     Even though I had read the book 30 years ago, I found myself totally immersed in the story again. Because it had been so long since I had read it, I had forgotten some of the details of the story, so I kept turning pages to see how storylines would develop. As was always the case with Jane Austen's books, I found myself feeling the emotions of the characters and experiencing the highs and lows along with them. I have virtually nothing in common with this young, single women of Regency England; however, Austen developed them in such a way that I could relate to them, and to each of their thoughts and emotions. That's what makes her such a brilliant writer.

     If you haven't read Sense and Sensibility, you should read it. It's a classic everyone must read at least once. If you have read it, read it again. I bet you'll enjoy re-reading it as much as I did. And now I may even have to rent the movie, just because I want to go through the story again.


Bottom Line: A timeless classic, by one of the greatest writers of all time.

Rating: 99 *

*Preliminary rating. After reading all of Austen's books again, I will decide which one I believe is the best one. At that time, I will likely rate that book a 100.

2 comments:

  1. It's my goal to read Jane Austen's books. I've kind of read Pride & Prejudice - I say kind of because I read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies. I've heard most of the original book is there, although Elizabeth training to be a zombie killer definitely is not in the original, lol. There are a lot of classics I want to read for the first time, and ones I want to re-read. Love that you were immersed in the story again - that's a sign of a great, great book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Sense and Sensibility in January of 2015 as well! It was the first time I've read any novel by Jane Austen and I absolutely loved it!

    Myra @ I'm Loving Books

    ReplyDelete