Tuesday, April 7, 2015

And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie

      
   


   
      I found it hard to believe that I had never read this book. I'm a self-professed Agatha Christie  fan, and a true mystery lover. Even so, when I saw a special on the book through Nook, I suddenly realized  that although I had heard about the book and is subsequent play ("Ten Little Indians"), I had never taken the time to read it.  I'm glad I finally took the time to enjoy one of Christie's  best-known  classics.
     The story begins when 10 unrelated and unsuspecting  people are summoned  to a mansion on a remote island.  They expect they are there for a number of different reasons,  from job opportunities  to gatherings with old acquaintances. On the evening of their arrival, a letter is read that accuses each guest of being responsible for causing the death of others. This excursion is to be their penance for those crimes unpunished to date.   Suddenly the guests face their own demise,  one by one.  But who is the unknown host, and what is causing these sudden deaths?
    As usual, Christie keeps the reader captivated with suspense , as well as the  questionable character of each  player.  The plot moves quickly, and the conclusion is a well-kept surprise. Filled with themes of guilt and distrust, this book is a classic, and so is its author.

BOTTOM LINE: One of the best classic mysteries ever written.
OVERALL RATING: 95



No comments:

Post a Comment